Sunday 13 November 2011

Steve Pettit

Steve is one of my heros. Behind him and Colin Herbert are some speaker stacks and an amplifier we called 'the great god mainline'. You can just see the speaker jacks for the amp. Steve built the amp from a Mainline kit but was better buiding his own stuff from scratch. He was a whizz with electronics, built guitar effects in his spare time with Bob Campbell-Wright and made his own guitars. Colin was a musician as well and made a guitar. Colin was doing a PhD and Steve was a year ahead of me at university. I helped build the speakers. We had four cabinets, two with two full range 12 inch drivers each and two with two 18 inch bass speakers. Here we are trying them out on a sunny day in front of the Chemistry Tower and Peel Place.

As a fresher with no where to live Steve met me at the freshers ball and said I could move into Todd Street, lower broughton, Salford. Dave Sowerbutts moved in as well and my cousin Stuart Petrie. After Todd Street I had a time in Guide Street near the bus depot. Later we moved in to 11 Hilton Crescent, Sedgely Park near Heaton Park.

Steve married Jane and they had a child while I was living with them. Once an engineer called to fix the gas. He had short hair. The child freaked out, she had never seen short hair before! The house was largely owned by Alan (Phote) Peakall.

No comments:

Post a Comment