Saturday 12 November 2011

Paul Mccartney

A friend of mine, Dave Sowerbutts, was chairman of Ents at Salford for a while. One Friday afternoon we were in the Union building when a call came in. Apparently Paul Mccartney was touring up and down the motorways with his new band Wings. They were arriving in Manchester. They had called Manchester Union to see if they could play there but were turned down with 'we are sorry we already have a band booked for tonight, another time perhaps'. So they contacted Salford and of course Dave said yes. We rushed off a couple of hundred flyers and I spent part of the afternoon getting them to as many people and places as possible.

Paul, Lynda and the band arrived in a single white box van with a second row of crew seats. I generally acted as a 'roadie' in terms of helping bands unload if they wanted. Not all bands did as they often had there own roadies and wouldn't trust kit to anyone else, but Wings were travelling light and did everything themselves and so were glad of the help.

I recorded the gig from the projection box on a stereo reel to reel but there were only about 250 people in the audience and the room was echoing and I was well away from the source of the sound so the quality is awful. There are many great bootleg recordings from late sixties early seventies gigs recorded by 'Rag Rooney' in excellent stereo on ferrograph recorders.

The deal was for half of the door takings and so Dave handed over a bag of mostly coins to Paul at the end of the gig. 

Needless to say I was star struck, didn't speak to Paul, but was happy to hump some of his gear and be one of the few in the audience dancing and enjoying the music. A very professional show to such a small group of us.

8 comments:

  1. Rag Rooney was the nickname for Frank Rooney. As the nickname suggests he was involved with Rag week activities amongst others. He did a lot of things around the union and had a semi professional disco lighting business. He had a small van which was usefull for fitting eight or more students in when going places - such as Meth Soc outings to the Meth Soc vs Cath Soc mixed football match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assume your encounter with Paul McCartney's amp was when they did the drop-by concert at Salford Uni in early 1972? I am still kicking myself for missing it. ....comment by Wendy Marshalll from facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I should have said 250 in blog above. Still not many in Maxwell Hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DavidS below has corrected me on this. It was 1,000 people.

      Delete
  4. Geon, memories ay? Mine says you got the numbers in the hall wrong. I believe we had a thousand. What supports this is that I agreed with Paul (name dropping), prior to the gig that we would charge 50p on the door and split the takings 50% to the Students Union and 50% to Wings. I can remember distinctly counting up the takings and at the end of the concert going to see Paul. I had £250 in each hand and gave him one of them. He obviously invested this well as he is now worth zillions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great bit of factual information. The whole point of this blog is to prompt people with better recollection of the facts than me!

      Delete
  5. Still dining out on "I interviewed Paul McCartney" - even though I only asked one question I think - will always be grateful to Daiv for letting me meet a Beatle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a magical time with some unexpected events. I am so glad that Daiv said 'yes' to Paul when he called.

    ReplyDelete